The winners of this year’s RTÉ Sport Awards were announced tonight (Saturday 14 December) on RTÉ One television and RTÉ Player during the live broadcast of the ceremony which looked back on the year in Irish sport.
Golfer Shane Lowry was voted the RTÉ Sport Sportsperson of the Year after a year in which heclaimed his first major title in commanding fashion in the 148th Open at Royal Portrush. The Clara man battled miserable conditions to become the fifth Irish player to lift the Claret Jug. He also won his first tournament in three and a half years with victory in the Abu Dhabi Championship at the start of the year.
Former Dublin Football Jim Gavin was named RTÉ Sport Manager of the Year for overseeing an unprecedented five-in-a-row All-Ireland titles and in doing so taking his place in GAA history.
Gavin’s former charges Dublin made history in September when winning that fifth All-Ireland title in-a-row. After two epic final encounters with rivals Kerry, the Dubs have now taken their place as one of the greatest teams ever and tonight were named RTÉ Sport Team of the Year.
Rhys McClenaghan created history this year as he became the first Irish gymnast to medal at the World Championships, claiming a bronze medal in the pommel horse. He also booked a place at the 2020 Olympic Games by qualifying for the final earlier in the week and was named RTÉ Sport Young Sportsperson of the Year for the second year running.
Olympic 5,000m silver-medallist and former World 5,000m champion Sonia O’Sullivan received the RTÉ Sport Hall of Fame Award recognising her many achievements in an Irish singlet during an incredible career.
The RTÉ Sport Awards were presented by RTÉ’s Darragh Maloney and Joanne Cantwell, and also featured a host of well-known Irish sports stars and analysts reflecting on the Irish sporting year that was.
See more here.
A panel consisting of the following members determined the RTÉ Sport Sportsperson of the Year award, the RTÉ Sport Manager of the Year award and the RTÉ Sport Team of the Year award while the RTÉ Sport Young Sportsperson of the Year was chosen by a separate panel made up of senior RTÉ Sport staff.
RTÉ SPORT AWARDS 2019 – JUDGING PANEL
· Sean Blackwell – RTÉ Sport Awards Programme Editor
· Kieran Cunningham – Chief Sports Writer, Irish Daily Star
· Declan McBennett – RTÉ Sport, Group Head of Sport
· Ryan McCann – RTÉ Sport Awards Executive Producer
· Shane McGrath – Chief Sports Writer, Irish Daily Mail & Irish Mail on Sunday
· Donagh McGrath – RTÉ Sport, Deputy Head Radio Sports & News
· Mary O’Connor – CEO of the Federation of Irish Sport
· Clíona O’Leary – RTÉ Sport, Deputy Head, TV Sport
· Sarah O’Shea – Secretary General at Olympic Counsel of Ireland & Director at SOS Sports Consulting
· Mikey Stafford – Editor, RTÉ Sport Output on Digital Platforms
· Denis Walsh – Sports Writer, The Sunday Times
· Andy Watters – Sports Reporter, Irish News