In recent years, RTÉ has won a number of high profile awards for its initiatives and achievements in the area of sustainability and waste management; these include being a shortlisted finalist in the Green Public Sector of the Year, the Sustainability Team of the Year and the Green Large Organisation of the Year in the national Facilities Management Awards. In 2017, RTÉ was the Overall Winner in the Pakman Awards for Excellence in Sustainability.
RTÉ is also one of only 33 companies in Ireland to have been awarded the Business in the Community Business Mark, which is based on ISO 26000 and is independently audited by the National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI). The Mark assesses best in class corporate social responsibility and sustainability and looks at leadership, policies, practices, performance, and impact in areas such as; employee engagement, innovation, environmental practices, supply chain management and engagement with the local community.
Did you know:
- In 2017, RTÉ was the Overall Winner in the Pakman Awards for Excellence in Sustainability, Ireland’s premier national awards that recognise excellence in waste management and recycling among businesses, organisations, community groups and initiatives in Ireland.
- RTÉ is a member of the All Ireland Pollinator Plan (https://pollinators.ie/).
- RTÉ is one of the leading public bodies in 2020 energy reduction targets as set by SEAI.
- RTÉ has signed up to Business in The Community’s, ‘Low Carbon Pledge’ (https://www.bitc.ie/publication-research/the-low-carbon-pledge/).
- RTÉ has taken a leadership role in collaborating with external stakeholders and peer broadcasters to adopt the standards of Project Albert, a collaborative BAFTA, independent production and broadcaster backed project that aims to ensure screen content is made in a way that benefits individuals, industry organisations and the planet.
- RTÉ has eliminated single-use plastics from its operations, a process that started in June 2018.
- We are currently sending no waste to landfill. With approximately 80% of our waste being recycled and the balance being recovered.
RTÉ’s Environmental policies and practices are regularly reviewed and its most recent policy aligns with the ISO 14001 standard.