RTÉ reaches almost 2 million (1,927,000) radio listeners in Ireland, with 48 percent of the Adult 15+ population tuning in every week. RTÉ Radio 1 is the only station in Ireland with a weekly reach of over +1 million (at 1,400,000), with 18 of the Top 20 most-listened-to programmes in Ireland (Adults 15+). RTÉ 2fm has a weekly reach figure of 700,000 (Adults 15+), while 282,000 listeners are tuning into RTÉ lyric fm on a weekly basis.
RTÉ Radio 1
RTÉ RADIO 1 WEEKDAY MARKET SHARE 21.3%
RTÉ RADIO 1 REACHES 888,000 LISTENERS ON WEEKDAYS
- Morning Ireland is the most-listened-to radio programme in the country with 450,000 people tuning in each morning.
- The Brendan O’Connor Show on Saturday morning is the second most listened to radio programme in the country, with 366,000 listeners, and 329,000 listeners tune in to the programme every Sunday morning.
- The Ryan Tubridy Show with 359,000 listeners is the third most-listened-to programme in Ireland.
- 346,000 listeners are tuning in every weekday to Liveline with Joe Duffy, making it the fourth most listened to programme on radio in Ireland.
- 340,000 listeners tune in to Today with Claire Byrne on weekdays and is in the Top 5 most listened to radio programmes in Ireland at number 5.
- News at One with Bryan Dobson has an audience of 329,000 listeners every weekday lunchtime.
- The Ray D’Arcy Show broadcasts to 210,000 listeners each weekday afternoon.
- Drivetime with Sarah McInerney and Cormac Ó hEadhra has an audience of 224,000 listeners every weekday evening.
Weekends on RTÉ Radio 1:
- Sunday with Miriam/The Collins Collection enjoys 322,000 listeners (+4,000 YoY).
- For the best of the week’s radio, Playback draws 314,000 listeners every Saturday morning.
- Sunday Miscellany enjoys 290,000 listeners on Sunday mornings (+15,000 YoY).
- Rising Time across the weekend gained listeners with 87,000 on Saturday mornings (+7,000 Yoy) and 62,000 (+8,000 YoY) on Sunday mornings.
- World Report/Bowman now has a listenership of 194,000 listeners (+2,000 YoY).
- This Week has an audience of 163,000 listeners on Sunday lunchtimes.
Peter Woods, Head of RTÉ Radio 1 said: “This is a consolidation for Radio 1. The book reflects how well the changes we made in the schedule last year have played out, with strong performances for Claire Byrne, Sarah McInerney and Cormac Ó hEadhra, Katie Hannon, Brendan O’Connor and Bryan Dobson on the News at One.
There were also gains for our arts and music content with Arena, Sunday Miscellany, Ronan Collins and Miriam O’Callaghan’s Sunday programme – with John Creedon in particular becoming cult listening on weekday evenings.”
324,000 LISTENERS TUNE IN TO RTÉ 2FM EVERY WEEKDAY
- 2FM Breakfast has 103,000 listeners.
- Jennifer Zamparelli on 2FM has 140,000 listeners.
- Tracy Clifford on 2FM has 128,000 listeners.
- Jenny Greene on 2FM has 122,000 listeners.
Weekends on 2FM:
- Louise McSharry has 104,000 listeners on Saturday mornings with 72,000 tuning in on Sunday mornings.
- Chris and Ciara has 97,000 listeners on Saturdays, while 84,000 switch on on Sunday mornings.
- Dave Fanning has 115,000 listeners tuning in on Saturday afternoons and 82,000 on Sundays.
Dan Healy, Head of RTÉ Radio Strategy and RTÉ 2FM said: ” These are early days for our new Breakfast Show and the chemistry between Doireann, Donncha and Carl is infectious, and we are looking forward to seeing their audience grow over the next few months.
I am very proud of how 2FM team and station have performed over the Covid months and we are looking to live music and festivals coming back in 2022 which is the natural home for 2FM.”
RTÉ lyric fm
RTÉ LYRIC FM HAS 282,000 LISTENERS TUNING IN WEEKLY
RTÉ LYRIC FM HAS A WEEKDAY MARKET SHARE OF 2.1%
- Lorcan Murray’s Classic Drive continues to increase listenership with 62,000 tuning in on weekday afternoons (+4,000 YOY).
- Marty in the Morning has 42,000 listeners turning on every morning
- Niall Carroll’s Classical Daytime reaches 31,000 listeners.
- Liz Nolan’s The Full Score has 43,000 listeners.
- The Lyric Concert with Paul Heriott/ The Mystery Train with John Kelly (Monday – Thursday) reaches 26,000.
- Movies and Musicals with Aedín Gormley has 50,000 listening in on the weekends.
- Weekend Drive with Evelyn Grant has 48,000 listeners on Saturdays (+1,000 YoY) and 43,000 on Sundays (+8,000 YoY).
Sinéad Wylde, Head of RTÉ lyric fm said “I am delighted this book reflects how RTÉ lyric fm continues to grow and sustain listeners in key daytime audiences while confirming its place in the hearts of Irish music lovers across the schedule. This book endorses, once again, the valuable space RTÉ lyric fm creates for our audience where many worlds of music unfold.”
Notes to editors:
JNLR/Ipsos MRBI 2021-3 release (October 2020 – October 2021)
Year on Year (2021-3 release vs 2020-3). No Release on Release