RTÉ, as part of a public tender process, is inviting submissions from suitably qualified photographers to provide official stills photography for the popular RTÉ drama, Fair City. Fair City is Ireland’s most popular soap. In the first 8 months this year, Fair City has generated 4.07 million streams on RTÉ Player alone – up 40% year on year.
The contract is guide price and is for a maximum of €60,000 per annum, or €240,000 over four years.
The successful photographer must:
- Deliver a minimum of 16 approved photograph stills in both high and low resolution to Fair City each week, for 50 weeks per year, as specified by RTÉ.
- Be on set or on location an average of 20 hours per week over the course of three days. Occasional weekend and night shift work maybe required.
Why is this important?
Popular soaps, such as Fair City, with multiple characters and multiple unfolding storylines have a sustained need for high quality imagery across the year.
This imagery is then used across a variety of media outlets to help drive audiences to the show as viewers can now decide ‘what to watch’ based on the promotional image that appears on their platform.
Executive Producer or Fair City, Brigie de Courcy said: “I cannot overstate the importance of high quality, highly curated photography in promoting Fair City in the busy landscape of press and digital publicity. It is vital to have a skilled photographer to capture, in single frames, moments of drama that will intrigue our regular audience, and bring new viewers to Fair City.”
- Weekly listings in print media, daily media and online media
- Imagery on TV guides, such as Sky
- Imagery for press packs (website for media to access official, high quality press information and images for RTE programming).
- TV highlights in magazines and newspaper TV Guides
- Embargoed key storyline ‘spoiler’ images for release to daily print and online media surrounding big storylines
- Magazine cover imagery to accompany feature interviews with actors
- Print and online interviews with actors relating to their storylines
- Character and actor imagery (e.g., images are often required for TV show interviews and appearances by actors e.g. The RTÉ Today Show, Virgin Media’s Ireland AM and The Six O’clock Show)
- Social media images.
- The contract is for professional photography services and associated image rights
- A contract awarded under tender represents better value to RTÉ than engaging professional photographers on an ad hoc basis.
- These services are currently being tendered for a four-year period on e-tenders to ensure that RTÉ is getting best value for money and in line with EU Procurement legislation and Irish Procurement Guidelines published by the Department of Finance.
- This tender is a repeat tender and these services and/or products have been purchased previously under other contracts.