RTÉ 2FM has launched You Ok? to put a special focus on young people’s physical and mental health and the importance of staying connected throughout the pandemic. Across the week, 2FM programmes will feature special guests Niall Horan, Roz Purcell and Bernard O’Shea, plus new slots and challenges to look after our wellbeing mind and body, connecting us all and having a laugh while we’re at it.
On this morning’s 2FM Breakfast with Doireann & Eoghan, Niall Horan released a global exclusive video where he connected with some of the biggest Irish musicians who joined with him in spreading the message to stay at home as part of #UniteByStayingApart during the lockdown period.
He also shared how he is dealing with the lockdown and staying healthy, Niall said:
“You can complain about it and see it as a massive hindrance, which to be fair it is, because our lives as we know them have been taken away from us. But I have kind of tried to take it by the scruff of the neck, got myself a little routine, get up in the morning, do a work out – I am probably the fittest I have ever been.”
Coming up this week as part of You Ok?
- Eoghan will do an Instagram Live healthy cook along with Roz on Wednesday morning after the show. 2FM Breakfast listeners will decide what the duo will cook on an Instagram poll.
- Following on from the 2FM Breakfast antics, Bernard O’Shea will deliver a sketch every day this week exclusively for Jennifer Zamparelli show (from 9 am)
- The Tracy Clifford show (12 pm) will compile a playlist of “Feel-Good” tunes generated from listener suggestions and will be later posted on 2FM’s Spotify.
- In the spirit of #inthistogether, Jenny Greene (from 3 pm) will take a call with Donncha O’Callaghan & Carl Mullan after 3 pm. Donncha will set Carl a daily challenge to complete before 5 pm. See yesterday’s challenge here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_fuKudgG-L/
- To keep the mood up over the course of the Bank Holiday weekend, 2FM will also broadcast recordings of live performances by Robyn, The National as well as Irish artists Roisin Murphy, Inhaler and Sorcha Richardson.
- From 6 pm to 6 am this Saturday night (2nd May), Jenny Greene will also present a 2FM Electric Disco in keeping with the You Ok? theme. Starting with her own live set from 6 to 9.40 pm, Jenny will then play a recording of herself and the RTÉ Concert Orchestra live in the 3 Arena in 2017 (9.40 – 11 pm). From 11 pm there will be another Bank Holiday special: “20 Years of The Best of 2FM’s Late Night Sessions” staying with you until 6 am.
You Ok? is building on the success of the podcast of the same name and is the latest in a series of wellbeing content from RTÉ including Operation Transformation: Keeping Well Apart, Home School Hub and a special exercise segment on Today with Maura & Daithi for those cocooning called Ray and O’Sé. RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ.ie and RTÉ Player have also featured items to keep mind and body healthy and have kept Irish audiences connected during the pandemic. RTÉ will continue to adapt as we’re all #inthistogether as we navigate the COVID 19 crisis.